Homer High School Concert Choir and Kenai Peninsula Community Chorus Travel Blog

We’re here!

March 13, 2010 · 4 Comments

After long waits and short sprints to meet connections, we have safely arrived in Berlin! Our tour guides suggested that, despite our exhaustion, we stay up until dinner was over, in order to get our sleep schedules on track for the new time zone – ten hours ahead of Alaska. I had my doubts, and was about to rest my head in my bread and cheese and call it a night, but I’m sure they were right. My apologies for not posting sooner; you may blame the jet lag.

We visited the Pergamonmuseum before we slept yesterday. It was full of incredible friezes pieced together from ancient Greece, fascinating sculptures depicting some of the first actors in the world, and urns telling stories of the gods.
The feeling of culture is very strong here. Ancient history combines with not-so-ancient history – East Berlin, West Berlin, American occupation – and mixes with a colorful present. All the cultures of the world are represented, at least in food. We passed restaurants selling Thai, Indian, Greek, Italian, and Vietnamese, as well as burger joints. Right next to the museum was a stand selling something called “curry-wurst.” I’m not sure what this is, but I’d like to find out.

This morning we awoke rested and ready to sing. After an amazing breakfast of fresh bread and jam and the best sausages I’ve ever had, we’ll be performing at the Berlin American Church and then embarking on our Berlin city tour. More pictures and stories to come!

Blog note: Please be aware that we must approve each and every comment you make before it appears on the blog. We love hearing from you, but there may be a delay, as we don’t always have an Internet connection! Thank you for your patience, and please keep reading and writing.

Categories: Choir Trip

4 responses so far ↓

•   Lenore Swanson // Mar 13th 2010 at 10:52 pm

I talked to some pretty excited girls today (last night for them). I called the hotel in Berlin. There are too many numbers on the Intropa tour phone number for the hotel. When dialing, skip the 11 in the first set. If you call using SKYPE, it only costs 3 cents per minute. Thanks for keeping us on the trip ‘with you’.

•   Elaine Hoffman // Mar 14th 2010 at 4:05 am

Dear Mark (Or Mr. Robinson as you are called) so glad you sent the link. I was just in this area in Oct so I am really enjoying your blog. Have a great time and sing, sing, sing.
    Elaine Hoffman
    Atlanta GA

•   Jennie Engebretsen Hargrove // Mar 14th 2010 at 7:21 am

Niiiiiiiiiiice! Enjoy! thanks for blogging when you can.

•   Tom Paulino // Mar 14th 2010 at 1:54 pm

Have a fun and safe trip. Thanks for keeping us posted.